Janice Jarrett sings the music of Kenny Barron, George Cables & more in her CD Blues Nights & Sunshower.
Out of her library of lyrics that include compositions by Barron, Cables, Freddie Hubbard, Judd Miller, Moacir Santos, & Eddie Russ, Janice Jarrett has selected seven originals by Barron & Cables for her first CD.
Joined by an energetic cast of accompanists, Blue Nights & Sunshower includes a Rodgers & Hart standard & a beautiful bossa nova by Sting.
This is the first time Jarrett has been able to sing her own words with her own arrangements in a solo recording. (Click here to order in advance of release date.)
BLUE NIGHTS & SUNSHOWER
Recorded while many of the group were performing in Jarrett’s ensembles, the recording captures their easy camaraderie on typically challenging songs on her largely original set lists. Performing in the CD: guest recording artist Dmitri Matheny, flugelhorn, international Classical & Jazz award winning guitarist Aliéksey Vianna, bassist Mike Levy, pianist Mike Eckroth, percussionists Dave Jeffrey, Gil Rodriguez & Bill M. Martinez, & guests violinist Michael Fan & baritone Paul Johnson.
Early response has been very positive: “I thought it was beautiful Jazz….such gooood wine drinking music. “(Sibyle, NC) “Very relaxing. I’m going to use it for my exercise session/“ (Nancy, AZ)
A distinguished group of jazz singers including Leila Thigpen - Jeri Brown, Anne Hampton Calloway, Jay Clayton, Wendy Fopeano, Jane Irving, Gretchen Parlato, Diane Schuur, Grady Tate, & Sunny Wilkinson have interpreted Jarrett’s lyrics (See CD covers, right). Thigpen and Wilkinson, along with Jarrett, Bob Joyce & Rocky Davis sang together for a decade in the LA group, Borrowed Time, that featured her lyrics & vocal arrangements.
- Kenny Barron chose three of over several dozen lyrics Jarrett has written for his compositions for his recent CD The Traveler. The contemplative ballad “Clouds” is sung by Anne Hampton Calloway, the haunting bossa “Phantoms” by Gretchen Parlato, & the intimate “Um Beijo” comes to life with the voice of Grady Tate.
- Jay Clayton, a much respected jazz vocal interpreter & clinician recorded “I Told You So” (Jarrett/Cables) in her CD Brooklyn 2000 with Cables at the keyboards.
- Jane Irving included a version of “Sunshower” (Jarrett/Barron) on her Beams CD. Wendy Fopeano includes a live performance of it on her CD, Raindrops on the Roses. Jay Clayton was the first to record Jarrett & Barron’s “Sunshower” on an LP by Unity (Byron Morris).
- Jeri Brown gave a meaningful rendering of “Jean,” a Jarrett & Eddie Russ collaboration on her CD Unfolding the Peacock. The title song of her CD Zaius was also from Jarrett & Russ. Eddie Russ & Jarrett's "Feeling Fine" appeared on his LP Take A Look At Yourself. Diane Schuur recorded “Zaius” (Jarrett/Russ) on one of her earliest recordings, Pilot of My Destiny. Also on LP Sunny Wilkinson sang “You Could Have Told Me,” with words by Jarrett & music by Judd Miller. (Last 2 not pictured.)
- Sherry Lenz wrote a great samba, “Infinidad,” & asked Jarrett to write lyrics for her CD Swept Away.
- Leila Thigpen continues to perform many of Jarrett's lyrics, including Barron's "Morning Glory," Cables' "Voodoo Lady," & Russ's "Changes," in Austria, where she teaches & sings.
"Working with Janice in "Borrowed Time" was my first encounter with her intelligent & delightful crafting of words. Her lyrics are thoughtful & picturesque, lyrics that the mouth is proud to pronounce, lyrics with deep insights that I never tire of singing to inspire my audiences. I am very happy Janice is releasing her CD where more of her treasure of lyrics will be heard!" Leila Thigpen, Vienna
- For more information or to order, please visit the Contact/Order Page or click the "Contact Me" link below to email.
- Follow @JJJazz